VAIL VALOR RACES
Monday, May 27, 2019 | VAIL, COLORADO
Make your Memorial Day count at the 7th annual Vail Valor Races. Enjoy springtime temperatures and stunning Gore Range mountain views at this high-elevation road run. Distances include a marathon (6-hour cutoff), half marathon, 5-mile run/walk and 1-mile memorial run/walk through town.
Vail Valor is an affordable, healthy and fun way to get everyone together to celebrate fitness and pay tribute to our nation's fallen heroes and active service members. Make it a family weekend and enjoy Vail's great shops, galleries, restaurants and local hospitality.
All Vail Valor Races take place on paved surfaces, starting and finishing on Willow Bridge Dr. opposite of Solaris Plaza. The terrain is moderate with rolling hills and scenic mountain views in residential neighborhoods. The out-and-back, keyhole half marathon course — which marathoners complete twice — features 663 feet of climbing, taking runners through Vail Village on Gore Creek Dr. toward/on Vail Valley Dr and the Vail Bike Path to East Vail and back.
DISTANCES & RACE CHANGES
- Marathon (26.2 miles)
- Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
- 5 miles
- 1 mile
Racers who are registered for the marathon will NOT be allowed to change and compete in the half marathon once the race begins. This will be an automatic DQ. If you wish to change distances, please update your registration via your IMATHLETE account (login required) up to 24 hours before the race or let us know at packet pickup or. Please know we are unable to provide a refund for the difference in price upon dropping a distance, and participants wishing to go up a distance will be charged accordingly.
11:30 a.m. First lap cutoff (marathon only)
2:30 Official Finish Time (ALL distances)
Participants have 6 hours to finish all distances. Our desire is to see everyone finish, and we will support you the best we can. However, if we do need to remove someone for missing the cutoff, the decision of the race official is final.
There are five aid stations with water, electrolyte drink and energy gels along the half marathon course with an additional aid station at the finish line. Since this is an out-and-back course, half marathon runners will pass three of the aid stations twice on the route. Marathon runners will hit all of the same aid stations upon their second lap. Port-a-johns will be placed at aid stations #2 and #4, as well as at the finish line. Aid stations are as follows:
- Aid Station #1 (mile 1.5)/Aid Station #7 (mile 11.5)
- Aid Station #2 (mile 2.5)/Aid Station #6 (mile 10.5)
- Aid Station #3 (mile 4.5)/Aid Station #5 (mile 8.5)
- Aid Station #4 (mile 6.5)
- Finish Line Aid Station (mile 13.1/26.2)
Marathon runners may bring drop bags to access at the finish line prior to starting their second lap. Bags will be collected at packet pickup. Please remember to pick up your items after the finish!
RACE RULES & TIPS
- Please bring your ID to packet pickup.
- Race bibs must be visible on the front of every runner at all times. Please don’t fold your bib!
- No pets are permitted on course, with the exception of service dogs.
- Strollers are welcome in the non-timed, 1-mile fun run/walk only.
- All runners must finish by the course cutoff time (2:30 p.m.).
- Participants must be 14 years or older on race day to participate in the marathon or half marathon. The 5-mile and 1-mile distances are open to all ages.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct and/or littering are grounds for disqualification. No garbage, clothing, etc., shall be thrown on the course or surrounding areas. Please help us keep Vail beautiful!
- DNFs must be reported to timing, preferably at the start/finish line or nearest aid station.
- Train at high elevation whenever possible to properly adjust to the altitude (8,000+ feet).
- Only register for the marathon if you’re confident you can finish in 6 hours or less.
- Be prepared for the weather. While we hope race day will be warm and sunny, springtime in the mountains can be unpredictable so plan accordingly and bring back-up clothing. Race-day weather averages as follows:
- Mean Temp: 44°F (6°C)
- Average High: 58°F (14°C)
- Average Low: 29° F (-1°C)
- Plan to pick up your packet on Sunday to avoid race-day crowds.
Check out our venue map for specific locations of each activity listed below. Parking at the Town of Vail Parking Structure off of South Frontage Rd. is free.
> VIEW THE VENUE MAP (PDF)
SUNDAY, MAY 26
3 p.m. - 6 p.m. Registration and packet pickup at Yeti's Grind Coffee in Solaris Plaza
MONDAY, MAY 27
7 a.m. - 7:50 a.m. Race-day registration & packet pickup at Yeti's Grind Coffee in Solaris Plaza
8 a.m. Marathon start on Willow Bridge Dr. opposite of Solaris Plaza
8:30 a.m. Half Marathon start
9 a.m. 5-Mile Run/Walk and Memorial Mile start
11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Post-race party and brunch with mini calzones and salad from Pazzo’s Pizzeria. Runners must have their bib ticket to receive their meal. Spectators may purchase a ticket from Pazzo’s, and beer is for sale at Yeti’s.
11:30 a.m. First lap cutoff (marathon only)
12 p.m. Half marathon awards
TBD Marathon awards
Marathoners will receive their awards when the top three runners in all age groups finish the race. Listen for announcements on when the marathon awards ceremony will begin.
2:30 p.m. Official course cutoff
Race schedule may be subject to slight time adjustments as deemed appropriate or necessary by race organizers.
register & receive
All participants receive:
- Finisher medal (pictured)
- Valor Hoo-Rag
- Post-race meal with mini calzones (meat or vegetarian) and salad from Pazzo’s Pizzeria
Regular registration: $65
Current or former military: $60
Regular registration: $50
Current or former military: $45
Regular registration: $35
Current or former military: $30
Regular registration: $20
Please note that we do not offer any refunds or discount codes if you cancel your registration for this event.
Awards are three deep in each division for the marathon and half marathon. Age groups are male/female in 10-year increments (19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, etc.). Only the top overall male and female 5-milers will receive awards, and there are no awards for the untimed 1-mile fun run.
The half marathon awards ceremony takes place at noon, and marathoners will receive their awards when the top three runners in all age groups finish the race. Listen for announcements on when the marathon awards will begin.
All runners who complete any race distance will receive a finisher medal at the finish line.
Host Venue & Hotel
The Town of Vail is a fantastic supporter of Vail Valor Races, so please consider staying in town for the race. Our official lodging partner is the Sitzmark Lodge, featuring top-notch accommodations, free WiFi and continental breakfast at a special race rate. Plus, it’s within easy walking distance to the start line.
We truly appreciate everything our amazing volunteers do to make our races run smoothly and create an unforgettable participant experience. If you’re in town for the event and have some extra free time we'd love it if you could help. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on open volunteer positions and scheduling.